NY Traffic Points and Penalties
(1) Except while operating a motor vehicle during the course of a road test conducted pursuant to the provisions of Art. 19 - Licensing of Drivers, no person shall operate or drive a motor vehicle
- upon a public highway of New York or
- upon any sidewalk or
- to or from any lot adjacent to a public garage, supermarket, shopping center or car washing establishment or
- to or from or into a public garage or car washing establishment
unless he is duly licensed pursuant to the provisions of the VTL.
(11) A violation of any provision of § 509 shall be punishable by a fine of $75 to $300, or by imprisonment for not more than 15 days, or by both such fine and imprisonment except, if the violation consists of failure to renew a license which was valid within 60 days, the fine shall be not more than $40[.]
It is a traffic infraction for any person to violate any of the provisions of the VTL … unless such violation is by the VTL or other law of New York declared to be a misdemeanor or felony.
(1)(c) Whenever proceedings in an administrative tribunal or a court of New York result in a conviction for an offense … or a traffic infraction under the VTL…, there shall be levied a crime victim assistance fee in the amount of $5 and a mandatory surcharge, in addition to any sentence required or permitted by law, in the amount of $55.
(9) Notwithstanding the provisions of § 1809(1), in the event a proceeding is in a town or village court, the court shall add an additional $5 to the surcharges imposed by § 1809(1).
Notwithstanding any other provision of law, whenever proceedings in a court or an administrative tribunal of New York result in a conviction for an offense … or for a traffic infraction under the VTL, … there shall be levied in addition to any sentence, penalty or other surcharge required or permitted by law, an additional surcharge of $28.
The following violations shall not be assigned any point value:
(i) any violation relating to vehicle registration, licensing or insurance[.]
Last verified: 2017-02-12