NY Traffic Points and Penalties
Insufficient Light Transmittance (Excessive Tint)
(12-a)(b) No person shall operate any motor vehicle upon any public highway, road or street:
(1) the front windshield of which is composed of, covered by or treated with any material which has a light transmittance of less than 70% unless such materials are limited to the uppermost six inches of the windshield; or
(2) the sidewings or side windows of which on either side forward of or adjacent to the operator's seat are composed of, covered by or treated with any material which has a light transmittance of less than 70%; or
(3) if it is classified as a station wagon, sedan, hardtop, coupe, hatchback or convertible and any rear side window has a light transmittance of less than 70%; or
(4) the rear window of which is composed of, covered by or treated with any material which has a light transmittance of less than 70%. A rear window may have a light transmittance of less than 70% if the vehicle is equipped with side mirrors on both sides of the vehicle so adjusted that the driver thereof shall have a clear and full view of the road and condition of traffic behind such vehicle.
(32) The violation of [this provision of § 375] shall be punishable by a fine not exceeding $150 or by imprisonment for not exceeding 30 days, or by both such fine and imprisonment[.]
It is a traffic infraction for any person to violate any of the provisions of the VTL … unless such violation is by the VTL or other law of New York declared to be a misdemeanor or felony.
(1)(a) Whenever proceedings in an administrative tribunal or a court of New York result in a conviction for a traffic infraction pursuant to Art. 9 - Equipment of Motor Vehicles and Motorcycles, there shall be levied a crime victim assistance fee in the amount of $5 and a mandatory surcharge, in addition to any sentence required or permitted by law, in the amount of $25.
(9) Notwithstanding the provisions of § 1809(1), in the event a proceeding is in a town or village court, the court shall add an additional $5 to the surcharges imposed by § 1809(1).
Notwithstanding any other provision of law, whenever proceedings in a court or an administrative tribunal of New York result in a conviction for an offense … or for a traffic infraction under the VTL, … there shall be levied in addition to any sentence, penalty or other surcharge required or permitted by law, an additional surcharge of $28.
The following violations shall not be assigned any point value:
(ii) any violation relating to motor vehicle inspection, vehicle weights or dimensions or vehicle equipment other than inadequate service brakes[.]
Last verified: 2018-03-31