NY Traffic Points and Penalties
Certificate of Inspection - Imitation, Fictitious, etc.
Any person who
- shall make, issue or knowingly use any imitation or counterfeit of an official certificate of inspection, or who
- shall possess or display or cause or permit to be displayed upon any motor vehicle any certificate of inspection knowing the same to be fictitious or issued without an inspection or required repairs having been made, or, who
- unlawfully mutilates a valid certificate of inspection or rejection, or who
- shall knowingly issue, obtain or present a false statement in connection with a waiver authorized by Art. 5 - Periodic Inspection of Motor Vehicles, or who
- unlawfully removes such a certificate from a motor vehicle,
shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.
The provisions of § 306(e) shall also apply to any temporary indicia of inspection provided for by regulation of the commissioner.
Every person convicted of a misdemeanor for a violation of any of the provisions of the VTL for which another penalty is not provided shall for a
- first conviction thereof be punished by a fine of not more than $300 or by imprisonment for not more than 30 days or by both such fine and imprisonment; for a conviction of a
- second violation, both of which were committed within a period of 18 months, such person shall be punished by a fine of not more than $525 or by imprisonment for not more than 90 days or by both such fine and imprisonment; upon a conviction of a
- third or subsequent violation, all of which were committed within a period of 18 months, such person shall be punished by a fine of not more than $1,125 or by imprisonment for not more than 180 days or by both such fine and imprisonment[.]
(1)(c) Whenever proceedings in an administrative tribunal or a court of New York result in a conviction for an offense … or a traffic infraction under the VTL…, there shall be levied a crime victim assistance fee in the amount of $5 and a mandatory surcharge, in addition to any sentence required or permitted by law, in the amount of $55.
(9) Notwithstanding the provisions of § 1809(1), in the event a proceeding is in a town or village court, the court shall add an additional $5 to the surcharges imposed by § 1809(1).
Notwithstanding any other provision of law, whenever proceedings in a court or an administrative tribunal of New York result in a conviction for an offense … or for a traffic infraction under the VTL, … there shall be levied in addition to any sentence, penalty or other surcharge required or permitted by law, an additional surcharge of $28.
The following violations shall not be assigned any point value:
(ii) any violation relating to motor vehicle inspection, vehicle weights or dimensions or vehicle equipment other than inadequate service brakes[.]
Such licenses [as defined in § 510(1)] shall be revoked and such registrations may also be revoked where the holder is convicted:
(iv) of a third or subsequent violation, committed within a period of 18 months, of … any provision constituted a misdemeanor by the VTL, not included in § 510(2)(a)(i) or (iii), except violations of § 375(1) or of § 401(1) and similar violations under any local law, ordinance or regulation committed by an employed driver if the offense occurred while operating, in the course of his employment, a vehicle not owned by said driver, whether such three or more violations were repetitions of the same offense or were different offenses[.]
Last verified: 2018-03-31