NY Traffic Points and Penalties
Failing to Drive on Right
Upon all roadways of sufficient width a vehicle shall be driven upon the right half of the roadway, except as follows:
(1) When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction under the rules governing such movement;
(2) When overtaking or passing bicyclists, pedestrians, animals or obstructions on the right half of the roadway;
(3) When an obstruction exists making it necessary to drive to the left of the center of the highway; provided, any person so doing shall yield the right of way to all vehicles traveling in the proper direction upon the unobstructed portion of the highway within such distance as to constitute an immediate hazard;
(4) Where travel on the shoulder or slope is permitted by § 1131;
(5) Upon a roadway divided into three marked lanes for traffic under the rules applicable thereon; or
(6) Upon a roadway restricted to one-way traffic.
It is a traffic infraction for any person to violate any of the provisions of the VTL … unless such violation is by the VTL or other law of New York declared to be a misdemeanor or felony.
Every person convicted of a traffic infraction for a violation of any of the provisions of the VTL … for which another penalty is not provided shall for a
- first conviction thereof be punished by a fine of not more than $150 or by imprisonment for not more than 15 days or by both such fine and imprisonment; for a conviction of a
- second violation, both of which were committed within a period of 18 months, such person shall be punished by a fine of not more than $300 or by imprisonment for not more than 45 days or by both such fine and imprisonment; upon a conviction of a
- third or subsequent violation, all of which were committed within a period of 18 months, such person shall be punished by a fine of not more than $450 or by imprisonment for not more than 90 days or by both such fine and imprisonment[.]
(1)(c) Whenever proceedings in an administrative tribunal or a court of New York result in a conviction for an offense … or a traffic infraction under the VTL…, there shall be levied a crime victim assistance fee in the amount of $5 and a mandatory surcharge, in addition to any sentence required or permitted by law, in the amount of $55.
(9) Notwithstanding the provisions of § 1809(1), in the event a proceeding is in a town or village court, the court shall add an additional $5 to the surcharges imposed by § 1809(1).
Notwithstanding any other provision of law, whenever proceedings in a court or an administrative tribunal of New York result in a conviction for an offense … or for a traffic infraction under the VTL, … there shall be levied in addition to any sentence, penalty or other surcharge required or permitted by law, an additional surcharge of $28.
The following violations shall be assigned a point value of three points:
(iv) any violation involving improper passing, changing lanes unsafely, driving to left of center of roadway, or driving in the wrong direction[.]
Last verified: 2018-03-31